Registration details can be found in the Journal Officiel.
Created in November 2005, Conseil Représentatif des Associations Noires (CRAN) (the Representative Council of Black Associations) is a French federation gathering 120 associations and federations of associations, aiming to fight against discrimination, and for the memory of enslavement and colonisation. Chaired by Louis-Georges Tin since 2011, the CRAN advocates respect, inclusion and a better representation of diversity (in the elections, media, public service etc.) and campaigned for reparations for enslavement and colonisation.
On the 12th of October 2012, the CRAN released a call for a national debate on reparations related to slavery, which was published in Le Monde.
On the 10th of May 2013, the CRAN sued the State and the Caisse des Dépôts asking for the refund of the 90 million gold-francs compensation imposed by the kingdom of France in exchange for the recognition of Haiti’s independence.
At the time of its creation in 2005, the objectives of the CRAN are:
- Human rights
- To fight against racism, xenophobia and all forms of intolerance
- To promote dialogue and cultural exchange between the different components of the French society
On the 7th of July 2009, the CRAN added the following objectives to its list:
- To fight against discrimination against black people and contribute to the economic, social and cultural development of the black populations of France
- To promote solidarity within the black population of France
- To promote the image of black people and work for the development and dignity of these populations
- To cooperate with all forces fighting for the defense of human rights and against racism, xenophobia and all forms of intolerance
- To ensure the promotion of the cultures of the black world
- To promote dialogue and cultural exchanges between the different components of the French society
- To act as a spokesperson able to face up to political representatives, economic actors and national and European public authorities
- To act as a civil party whenever it is deemed necessary, for offences entering its field of action, particularly in the area of racism and racial discrimination
On the 12th of December 2012, CRAN added the following objectives to its list:
- To defend the memory of the victims of enslavement and the slave trade, as well as the material and moral interests of their descendants
- To defend the memory of the colonised populations, and the material and moral interests of their descendants
Nous les Noirs de France, Patrick Lozès, Danger Public, 2007
Le Pacte. Pour en finir avec les discriminations, Louis-Georges Tin, Autrement, 2012
Esclavage et réparations. Les textes-clés d'hier et d'aujourd'hui, Louis-Georges Tin, Les Petits Matins, 2013
Esclavage et réparations. Comment faire face aux crimes de l'histoire, Louis-Georges Tin, Stock, 2013